Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Dude Culture of Music Criticism

Pandagon's Amanda posted a few pointed truths about women in and around the overwhelmingly male-dominated world of music criticism (not to mention music itself) and the Insufferable Music Snobbery that has a lock on music and, increasingly, pop culture in general. Her post was spurred by an intrepid Gawker intern's recent analysis of Pitchfork articles affirmed that fewer women write their douchey reviews than do guys named Mark.

I don't have much to say about this in the short time I've got to post--gotta finish writing a review of a tuba recital I saw this weekend (it's not Austin City Limits, but it'll do). Except: The more I think about this, even though I've known it was true and lived it for years, the more I'm determined to put some of the ideas I've had for this blog (and my fledgling career) into action.

So I'm going to rework this blahg to serve its intended purpose--giving me someplace to write about music while I'm unattached to any pop-review-publishing publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment