Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Jugalbandi Fever; In Way Over My Head Re: Jazz

Two more CVNC reviews up after last weekend's triple crown of concerts.

My attempt to evaluate and describe a really cool performance of ragas by santoor master Tarun Bhattacharya and Hindustani vocalist Anurag Harsh (and there was a harmonium! Squee!).

And making my jazz-related ignorance work for me at a genre-nebulous performance by Charlie Haden and Hank Jones at Duke University's Following Monk festival.

Look for reviews of the 60x60 2007 International Mix's NC State debut and totally freaking sweet Pamina Devi: A Cambodian Magic Flute at UNC-Chapel Hill.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you like jazz now!!! (I have similar jazz problems despite having dated jazz musicians and enthusiasts -- most jazz leaves me indifferent -- the unsophisticated listener in me tends to just like really fast stuff (like bebop) though I do like Ornette too.)

    Also, Charlie Haden came to A2 once and needed to assemble a small string orchestra to play back up. Hence, I can say I've performed with Charlie Haden now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that bebop isn't sophisticated, it's just I have a proclivity to like my classical and jazz fast and loud. When I was younger I used to skip every slow song on a given album, whether classical jazz or rock. I think I have gotten more tolerant of slower songs now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That's rad about Charlie Haden. He's definitely a unique dude -- I read up on his history for this thing, and he was the youngest of a troupe of Carter Family-like traveling musicians back in the day and is a big hippie-peacenik type. The show was definitely...something.

    As for jazz in general, I really like how Ornette (on the two of his like 50 albums I have) basically crams the most complex musical thought he can into, like, nanoseconds. And whenever I think "slow" and "jazz" together, I think torch songs or (shudder) smooth jazz. Good god.

    Basically, I have to educate myself about it more -- not because I feel an obligation, although I do, but primarily because I figure I'll come around to the finer aspects of every genre of recorded music known to humankind sooner or later; one of these days, grindcore will let me in, too.

    ReplyDelete